Thursday, January 27, 2011

MILESTONE!!

Today is a HUGE milestone - 24 weeks and viability!  And to make it even better, my high risk appointment was perfect yesterday.  Such a relief, because I have been stressing about this appointment for the past week.  I received the best news I could have hoped for.....my cervix hasn't changed AT ALL!  Baby A is weighing in at 1 lb 6 oz and Baby B is 1 lb 7 oz (but Mama's weight is another story - I weigh more than I ever have in my life, even in my fattest college days!). 

Everything looked so good that the dr decided to hold off on the steroid shots to mature the babies lungs until at least my next appointment at 26 weeks.  And....she said something along the lines of people with a cervical length like mine at 24 weeks only have about a 4% chance of a really premature delivery (ie, earlier than 28 weeks), and babies born at 28 weeks have an 80+% survival rate.  I know things can change in an instant, but that really gives me hope!  My personal goal is to make it at least another 10 weeks, to 34 weeks.  No matter what I will deliver early, and I know there will be NICU time involved, but hopefully it's just for feeding and growing and not any bigger issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment