Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Big "C"

Cerclage day was yesterday!  What a LOOONNNGG day.  Was at the hospital at 1030a for pre-op.  That's the first time I'd had to stay in a hospital room since delivery, and I must say it didn't bring back good memories.  The pre-op room was also very small with sliding glass doors, which reminded me of the room my sister was in during her fight with leukemia - again, not good memories.  It must have been written all over my face, because everyone kept asking if I was OK.  Beside the fact I had on no makeup, am Casper the Ghost pale, and would have paid money to sit anywhere else other than that room, I was fine.  After a quick ultrasound to check that the babies were OK it was off to surgery.

Surgery time was 1230p, and everyone said I was the "perfect" patient - I guess because I'm not high maintenance!  After my spinal block I had to wait about 5 minutes for it to take affect.  I was numb from my waist down, but could still move my feet a little.  Then, I laid down on the (very skinny) operating table and the doctors put my legs in stirrups.  I could feel my left leg twitching and shaking, but I had no control over it - very weird!  The placement of the cerclage only took about 10 minutes - the doctor ties the cervix shut with what they call a purse string.  I could feel some tugging and pulling but no pain.  I LOVE my high risk OB - she's very personable and an excellent doctor.

Off to recovery...I had to wait for the numbness to wear off so I could walk, and also use the bathroom, before they would allow me to leave.  Finally at 430p they let me go home.   So not only had I been at the hospital for 6 hours, it had been almost 17 hours since I had eaten!  Dinner never tasted so good (BLTs and fruit)!

The usual restrictions are in place - no exercise, no heavy lifting - but other than taking it easy for a couple of days, I'm not technically on bed rest or anything right now.  I feel completely fine, like nothing even happened yesterday.  I feel much better that the cerclage is in place; I know it's not a magical cure but it is a safety net.  Oh, and I'm 13 weeks pregnant today - officially in my 2nd trimester!  So two milestones down in the last two days.  As each day progresses it's hard not to get more and more excited about the two little ones growing inside of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment