Sunday, November 14, 2010

Headstone

A few days ago, the cemetery called to let us know that our headstone was finally ready and had been put in place.   So, on Friday morning, Scott and I got up and went to see it for the first time.  I never would have thought that at 34 years old, I'd have my cemetery plot and headstone set, and definitely never expected to have buried my children before me.  

It is a beautiful cemetery (if there is such a thing), and the plot is on a hill that overlooks St. X high school, where the twins would have gone, like their dad, uncles, and grandfather before them.  Actually, I can't take credit for picking the spot - when the twins passed, my parents and in-laws were the ones that took care of all the funeral arrangements.  Scott and I knew that we didn't want the twins to be buried by themselves, but at the time we didn't think we were ready to have our own plot.  So, his parents bought their plot with a space for the twins, plus put a hold on another plot next to it.  Luckily, his parents suspected that we may change our minds, which we did.  So now we can be buried with the twins, and Scott's parents will be next to us.  

The headstone is about 5 feet tall, made out of black granite.  It's very simple, although I suspect that whomever purchases the plots behind us may not like its size!  We're happy that it's in place before the holidays, so we can decorate, although sadly it's not the kind of decorating we thought we'd be doing this Christmas.  It does make things a little easier to know that we are pregnant again - the thought of future children doesn't ease the pain of our loss, but does give us something to look forward to as we pass all of these milestones during the first year.  The twins would be 8 months old tomorrow, and I can't help but think how different our lives would be now had they survived.       

No comments:

Post a Comment